Things to See and Do in Kennebunkport ME
There are so many attractions and activities here in Kennebunkport and the immediate area that we cannot possibly include them all on our website. However, we are happy to recommend those activities that are personal favorites and those that our guests have found to be particularly enjoyable during their stay at 1802 House Bed and Breakfast Inn. Additional information is available at www.visitkennebunks.com
Some of the annual events listed will, of course, fall on different days during different years. Please feel free to call the inn to find out specific upcoming dates
- Every February, the entire town of Kennebunkport celebrates “February is for Lovers.” Despite the cold and chill that can be found here in the northeast, the area heats up with romantic carriage rides, dining specials and much more. No matter when you visit in February, you’ll receive a warm welcome here in southern Maine.
- May brings the Maine Coast Marathon, organized by the Marathon Sports Runners Club. This point-to-point course between Kennebunk High School and the University of New England in Biddeford offers plenty of gorgeous views during its traditional 26.2 mile length.
- The Kennebunkport Food Festival comes to town at the start of June when the staffs of Maine magazine and Maine Home+Design magazine bring food, wine, and art to our shores. The event features some of Maine’s best chefs, wine and beer makers, musicians and artists to town for a weeklong celebration. Some of the events are even held at beautiful residences around town.
- During the Kennebunkport Food Festival, members of the Historic Inns of Kennebunkport, including 1802 House Bed and Breakfast Inn, hold the Historic Inns Garden Party featuring a Taste of Maine. The gathering features hors d’oeuvres by each of the inn’s chefs, Maine wines, and the musical backdrop of the Food Festival.
- Shakespeare in the Park is a popular area activity held between the beginning of July and the beginning of August. These FREE shows are offered by the Mainestage Shakespeare Company at Lafayette Park in Kennebunk and at the Green on Ocean Ave. in Kennebunkport on Saturday evenings. Bring a blanket and a picnic basket and spend a night under the stars with the Bard.
- Fall Foliage – From September through early November, all of New England is awash in beautiful fall color. Take a drive and take in the gorgeous scenery.
- The Beaches – Goose Rocks Beach (passes required) and the Kennebunk Beaches are the closest to the inn. 1802 House Bed and Breakfast Inn offers chairs and towels for our guests’ use.
- Biking – There are several area bike trails for riding, and residents are tolerant to riders on the street. If you did not bring your own bike, rentals are available during your stay through local outfitters. We would be happy to arrange delivery of bikes to the inn on your behalf. Please call us to discuss.
- Kayaking – Kayak on Grist Mill Pond, the Kennebunk River, Mousam River, Cape Porpoise, and more. Take a guided tour or rent boats to explore on your own!
- Sailing – Schooner Eleanor offers two-hour sailing trips aboard a traditional 55-foot, gaff-rigged schooner. Join Captain Rich for a sail along the Maine coastline and feel the wind on your face and the power of the ocean.
- Lobster Tours – Join Captain Bob and his crew aboard the Rugosa, a classic New England lobster boat. On the short 1.5-hour trip, tour the Kennebunk River, see the beautiful coastline, and watch the crew haul lobster traps. You can either sit back and enjoy the experience, or roll up your sleeves and join in the fun!
- Restaurants – From traditional seafood or quintessential Maine lobster shack; to eclectic and vegetarian; to food trucks and locally made ice cream and desserts, Kennebunkport and the surrounding area boasts 39 eateries to tempt your taste buds. Ask us about our favorites!
- Galleries and Museums – With a rich history and a number of talented area artists, Kennebunkport features more than a dozen galleries and museums.
- Unique Shops – Kennebunkport features a wide variety of independently owned shops offering art and collectibles, books, jewelry, home goods and a wide variety of unique gifts and goods. Looking for something in particular? Your innkeepers will be happy to help you find it!
- Christmas Prelude – Voted the #2 Christmas Town in America, Kennebunkport lights up the first two weekends of each December with Christmas Prelude. During this event, the entire community celebrates by lighting up buildings, boats, and trees; holding arts and crafts fairs; offering meals and food; caroling; sponsoring programs; and bringing Santa to town on the Lobster Boat. The second weekend will also include the fireworks, which are a fantastic display to behold. In addition, the Historic Inns will be back with our Walk to Bethlehem and Inn Tours.
For a full schedule of events, visit the Christmas Prelude website.
Availability is limited so make your reservation for the 1802 House Bed and Breakfast Inn now!